Get your students into the holiday spirit and keep them writing with these fun writing prompts for the month of December. Writing is a great way to get students to slow down and think about specific topics. With fun, holiday-themed prompts, your students will enjoy reflecting on the holiday/Christmas season while working on their writing skills.
1. My favorite holiday tradition is…
2. Write about your favorite day this past year.
3. Write about your day as if you were a snowman that had just been built.
4. If you could create a new holiday tradition, what would it be?
5. What are you most looking forward to about winter vacation?
6. Imagine you’ve accidentally been locked in a store on Christmas Eve. What do you do?
7. If you could give your parents any gift in the world, what would it be?
8. Why is it important that we have a “season of giving”?
9. Describe your ideal holiday dessert without actually mentioning it. Use lots of vivid imagery and sensory details.
10. What would you do if you were snowed in for a week with no internet?
11. What is a great gift that doesn’t cost anything? Why?
12. What is something we could do to make the world a more peaceful place?
13. How do you celebrate New Year’s Eve?
14. What is the most exciting sport in the Winter Olympics? Why?
15. Would you rather live in a place that gets tons of snow for months at a time, or live somewhere that never got cold? Why?
16. On December 24, 1968, Apollo 8 reached the moon. If you could take a trip to the moon, would you? Why or why not?
17. It is better to give than to receive. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
18. Do you think people should still send Christmas cards, or is this tradition outdated? Why?
19. What is the one thing you want more than anything else?
20. What is your opinion of Black Friday shopping? Why?
Add some more festive fun to your classroom with this free holiday writing paper. Download your free PDF copy below for five different holiday/winter writing paper designs.